Sunday, March 17, 2013

March 18th...

Tomorrow I will go to work, life will continue on as it should.  But my heart will be a little heavy with a memory I hold so dear.  10 years ago on March 18th, 2003 I was having a long and strenuous day.  I was poked and prodded and interviewed by doctors and counselors.  I spent the day being evaluated to be a living kidney donor for my dad.  But the significance of that pales in comparison to the fact that what I hold on to about that day was that it was the very last day I spent with my father before he succumbed to complications of his disease.  I remember vividly when we had a break for lunch that he sat across the table from me, smiled and said "I am so proud of you".  
That was the last time I heard his voice, the last time I saw him smile and the last time I felt the warmth of my fathers hug.  It has been too long and I miss him so damn much.  There are two more dates that will be hard for me, so bear with me in the coming weeks as I try to comprehend that I'm only 30 and my father has already been gone from me for a decade...

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine, my heart (and I) cry for you. If you need some distraction I am off tomorrow.

    Also, thank you for reminding me how lucky I am that I still have my Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so sorry for your hurt and pain! i am sure 100% positive he looks upon you and is still so proud of you! hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete