Sunday, January 22, 2012

Duluth ~ An anniversary trip

Duluth has been a long standing tradition of mine.  It started when I was young and my aunts Gloria and Janet (my dad's sisters) would take my sister Melissa and I up to Duluth for weekend excursions. 
I'd spent a lot of time trying to convince Russ to take a trip there and October of 2007, he finally gave in.  He took me to Duluth during an MEA break when I was in nursing school.  It was during that trip that he proposed to me.  So, it's needless to say that Duluth holds a very special place in BOTH of our hearts now. 
We've been back there several times together now, in fact, this trip was our 4th trip to Duluth together. 

When trying to figure out how to celebrate our anniversary (our 3rd) this year, I actually settled on Duluth pretty quickly, despite the fact that it was winter and Duluth can be chilly in summer even.  So, Russ and I decided on a hotel that we'd eyed a few times but hadn't stayed at yet...The South Pier Inn.  It is nestled into the south side of Duluth's famous Aerial Lift Bridge.  We treated ourselves to a harbor view room that had a fireplace, whirlpool and a private balcony looking out onto the harbor of Lake Superior in Duluth.

This will be a little picture heavy, as I had a hard time narrowing it down...LOL.  But here are some of my favorite photos from our anniversary trip to Duluth.


These first photos are from the Glensheen Mansion, which was home to the Congdon family in the early 1900's.  They don't allow you to take photos inside the house, but I was able to take photos of the grounds and inside the carriage house (not pictured below). 


The rather large, beautiful front door.  Where you would enter if you arrived by carriage or automobile.


The back of the house, which had the "second front door".  This is where you would enter if you arrived by boat.  Mrs. Congdon felt it was rude to have guests enter through the back door, so a formal "second front door" was made.  It entered into the same large foyer


A GORGEOUS bridge on the grounds of the Glensheen Mansion





After we finished visiting the Glensheen mansion, we went for lunch at Grandma's restaurant.  A local favorite, and a famous tradition.  From there we hopped across to the other side of the lift bridge to check into our hotel.  When we arrived I already knew we were in for a treat.  It was LITERALLY on the other side of the bridge.  We entered the lobby and there were treats, pastries (put out fresh each morning), microwave popcorn, microwave oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, etc all for the taking!  YUM!  We got to our room and I was even more excited.  The room was perfect...


That whirlpool was thoroughly enjoyed.  


Here's Russ out exploring our private balcony overlooking the harbor.  The inn provides binoculars with the stay so that you can further explore the harbor and the surrounding sights.  


A panoramic shot of the view from balcony


The inn...Shows you just how close to the bridge it is.



Here are a couple of shots of the bridge...I can't have a blog post about a trip to Duluth without including a few shots of the bridge.


This one was shot from Canal Park...On the north side of the bridge.  


This one was shot from the street right by our inn...On the south side of the bridge. 


When we woke up, a large group of ducks was noticed out in the frozen water.  They were fun to watch.  After we checked out of the hotel, we explored a little bit.  I took some very frozen, very cold looking photos. 



 Not your average "beach" shot.  :-)


 The ice seen here, was moving, propelled by the motion of the water underneath.  It almost looked like it was breathing as it heaved slightly upward and then down again.  As it moved, it creaked and moaned almost.  I took video of it, because it was in interesting experience. 


One side of Canal Park.  


The other side...


Little Angie's...This is a must for me whenever I visit Duluth.  I highly recommend it.  It's in the middle of Canal Park, just across the large parking lot from Grandmas and directly across the road from The Inn on Lake Superior. 



Goodbye Duluth...We'll miss you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment